Monday, December 29, 2014

I found my favourite photographer in the universe - Irving Penn


*In case the way I put it might be slightly confusing: No this is not Irving Penn lol*


I have a habit of googling images whenever I have time. I love drawing portraits of interesting people, but great pictures are really difficult to find. 

As someone who has been drawing (for 3 months ..lol), I can tell you no photograph beats the real thing. Be it still life or portraits, drawing at the actual environment with a natural light source allows the artists to make their own interpretation of the reality. You may hear people saying portraits are artistic representations of the painter, not the sitter. This is very true. The same object painted by 2 different painters must be different. 

Therefore, if someone draws photographs of people taken by someone else, you are actually reproducing the photographer's perspective, instead of creating your own.

This is exactly why art teacher hates his students drawing photographs. (despite I secretly make 2 sketches from photographs per week....lol )

I am very much aware of the shortcomings of drawing photographs, still I think it's a great way to train my skills especially when I have limited resources. But if you have to borrow someone's artistic eyes, make sure you borrow from someone great.

And I am glad I have finally found him.

Irving Penn

If you google Irving Penn what you can find out about him is extremely limited [ Ask Wiki =) ]. I have come across the name when I was looking for pictures of Yves Saint Laurent. And I was completely blown away. His photos were elegant, classic, extraordinary, lively, full of personality, with beautiful light against very simple background. They have everything I love, and everything that I am looking for. It's very difficult to explain why I love them sooooo so so so much. But I find all of his works are extremely captivating. 

As I glanced through his portfolio there were already quite a few photos that I can't wait to draw. And they will be coming really soon :)


Just don't tell my teacher



Duchess of Windsor by Irving Penn


No comments:

Post a Comment