Thursday, April 24, 2014

A totally spontaneous solo getaway to Sydney - Day 1


It all started with the very simple idea of wanting to go on a solo vacation to somewhere I have never been to. There was no plan, no reason, but why must there be one?

Of course I had my fair share of panic attacks at the airport as a first time solo traveler. Luckily the uneasy feelings quickly subsided when I met my neighbour of the 9-hour flight: a monk. He was a thin middle-aged man whose eyes were exceptionally bright. His gaze and the calmness in his tone settled me down instantly. Sometimes I am amazed how well life is treating me.


The chocolate ice-cream was very tempting...hmmmm
After learning I was traveling alone, the monk gave me this saying it would keep me safe

Despite there was a crying baby sitting right behind me, I found the flight pretty ok...At least I got just enough sleep not to feel too tired. The best part of the flight was, of course, the SUNRISE! It was one of the moments in the trip that took my breath away. I almost screamed when I saw it (when every one was still sound asleep).



As soon as I walked out of the Sydney airport, I have got myself the Airport Link at the train station. It gave people unlimited access to all public transports in Sydney including ferries, buses, trains and light rails within a certain period of time. I found it extremely useful for tourists, especially when I was staying in a suburb lodge.

My adventure in Sydney began at the Rocks Sunday market. It was only 8 am when I got to Circular Quay, while the market usually opens after 9. So I walked around and had a nice big breakfast at a restaurant named Baroque.

It was a very beautiful Sunday morning
2 eggs in a pot with cheese, mushrooms and potatoes. I swapped bacon for more tomatoes...yumm!

 I didn't know if it was the fresh air, the gentle sea breeze or the bright morning sun made me feel extremely good at the Rocks market. I have got myself a necklace made of Eucalyptus leaf dipped in silver.


My Eucalyptus leaf necklace

My original plan was to go to the aquarium at the Daring Harbour and catch a ferry to Drummoyne, where my lodge was located. I took a free City shuttle bus to the Central Business District, hopped off at Town Hall station and walked all the way to the Darling Harbour via Queen Victoria Building, Strand Arcade, the Hyde Park, St. Mary's Cathedral and various shopping malls that I couldn't name. I have to confess it was not a planned visit to all of these places. I was simply lost and got there by (a series of) accident(s).

The Queen Victoria Building


The Hyde Park


 St. Mary's Cathedral
I felt extremely tired when I finally got to the aquarium after a 2-hour walk (when it was supposed to be just 10 mins away from Town Hall), so I decided to grab some food and go check-in the lodge instead. There was a ferry that would take me directly to Drummoyne, however I caught the wrong ferry that sailed the opposite direction and it took me back to Circular Quay......lol
The Darling Harbour 
My Lunch at the aquarium's food court

But no it was not a problem at all. Just look at the spectacular view of the harbour.


Drummoyne was just 15 mins away from Circular Quay by ferry. It was a clean, quiet and beautiful suburb. The lodge was reasonably near to the wharf and was unbelievably cozy. I have got a City View double room and it was very spacious. There were no more than 20 rooms in the lodge and we shared a kitchen and few bathrooms. There was a garden in the middle of the lodge.
The very beautiful neighborhood of Drummoyne
The lodge

The garden inside the lodge

My room
I am obsessed with sunrises and sunsets and I believed the Sydney Tower might be a good idea. Therefore I quickly dropped my bag and dashed out again. Sadly when I got to the Tower at around 5pm, the staff there told me it would take at least 45 mins to get to the top, so I would very possibly miss the sunset...oh dear :-(  

Instead of standing there and wait, I decided to dash to the harbour trying to catch a last glimpse of the sun. And it didn't let me down.

Before getting back to the Sydney Tower I quickly grabbed a sushi roll at wharf 5 for AUD 3, and it actually tasted not (too) bad.

 Besides sunrises and sunsets I also have an obsession with colourful fruits, especially golden kiwis. I have got myself 2 golden kiwis and a pomegranate before heading back to the lodge.



And I am going to end this day's entry with an impressive view of Sydney taken from the Sydney Tower.


Goodnight <3


No comments:

Post a Comment