Sunday, August 31, 2014

Burano - A glorious burst of CoLOuRs!!

This is going to be a very colourful entry because I am going to write about BURANO!

If you know how I am obsessed with colours, you will know how much I love this tiny island, which is famous for its rainbow coloured houses.

On this island you will never find 2 houses with the same colour sitting next to each other. It's because the government controls the colour to be used. I wonder if they have recruited a team of artists because the colour scheme is just brilliant!

Other than being beautiful, there is a practical reason for them to paint the house this way. Historically, families in Burano caught fish for a living. While the houses looked almost identical, it was way easier for the fishermen to find their way home by colours.




Burano is a small island and many tourists may find it not much to do there. It's not true. Unlike central Venice, Burano is not purely for tourists. It is where local people live. I strongly advice you to take some time and slowly walk around the island. You will be surprised by the amount of things that fascinate you.

I was wearing the glass necklace that I got in Murano, by the way :)


I found the way they hanged their clothes was extremely artistic.




The small town is famous for making lace too! They were all hand-made and labelled "made in Burano", next to a very intimidating price tag.....



Errrr....there is something wrong with this bell tower.....


I later googled and realize Italy is in fact quite famous for building leaning towers, other than Pisa [ The list of leaning towers ]





Here I bring to you my collection of beautiful window-sills in Burano. Now admire the perfectly matching colours.






It's a crime not be to romantic in Italy, I guess



But there was one thing that I was not quite satisfied with Burano: The food. It's quite pricey compared to elsewhere in Venice but the quality was, to be honest, just so-so...hmm....


****************************************************************************

For those who love reading my blog, THANK YOU! <3 *muah*

There is a lot of effort to organize the thousands of photos that I took in Italy. But I just enjoy sharing with people the things that I love. And I wish I can inspire you to admire the extraordinary things in our ordinary lives.

More interesting things about Venice is coming soon. Goodnight, my friends.

XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment