Thursday, August 28, 2014

Murano - the glass island of Venice

I woke up at around 6 a.m. on my second day in Venice (no it was not jetlag, I normally wake up that early lol). The breakfast wouldn't be served until 7 so I decided to run around the neighborhood. It was the 7th of May so the weather was still quite chilly in the morning. But I love the morning sun and the quiet street.

The cars still had their headlights on when I ran out....


Love the beautiful flowers in Italy, they were EVERYWHERE!!
 

As much as I love hotel buffet breakfasts, it is the same thing that I am crazy about no matter where I go - the cereals!!


I strongly recommend everyone who is going to Europe to get the travel pass of the cities. It's really convenient especially if you have extremely packed itinerary like mine...


My hotel was not in Venice but we could get there in no more than 20 mins. The photo was taken at the bus stop and my hotel was only 50m away (right behind the red bus in the photo).

My first destination was Murano, a beautiful island 1.5 km away from Venice. The whole town is devoted to making glass for more than 700 years. There is a glass museum on the island about their successful glass making business. If you are looking for a beautiful glass bottle or some unique glass accessories, this is where you should go.  Every piece of glass they sell was hand-made in Murano. Therefore even for the same design, every piece is unique and and you can't get it anywhere else. I have got a cute glass necklace there and wore it almost everyday in Italy. You will see it later when I write about other cities. :)



Murano was not supposed to be this quiet, but it was 9 am in the morning when all the shops were still closed.

Love this cute Mosaic of people making glass.




I struggled a bit whether I should post this picture. Blurred line between being exotic or erotic....



I made several failed attempts to scan this QR code. And it was way too big to be captured in the tiny scanning screen without jumping into the water behind me. Driven by curiosity, I decided to take a picture of it and see what I can do later. 

  

As I was writing this post, and about to scan it again using my phone, I realized the real QR code was at the right hand corner of the mosaic......
LOL
 




Among all the wonderful glass products on this amazing island, it was this alien that I wish I could bring home (but of course besides being extremely expensive, the alien was half a feet taller than me).




It was made by an Italian artist Massimo Lunardon who is famous for making cute life-size glass alien and put them on the streets. If you want to know more, read this !



Murano is a small island and you'd probably spend no more than 2 hours there. On the same day I also went to Burano, another interesting island nearby, and then back to Venice for the museums. 

Burano will be coming next, stay tuned if you like reading my travel journal. :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment