Thursday, November 13, 2014

Profile of an old man

Everything about this old man is so beautiful that I have to make him one of my sketchbook collections (among the interesting artists). The wrinkles, the bridge of the nose, the eyes and how the light hit the face are all so perfect. It seems to me he jumped directly out from the canvas of a classical painting (if you're interested, keep reading). The white beard is beautiful too but I decided to omit the details in my drawing. I will let your imagination fill in the blanks.

Errrr.....No I am not lazy, I'd call it artistic exclusion of the unnecessary....*ahem* :p





***********************************************************************

There seems to be something magical about old men with white beard. Artists love them. This is a painting by Rembrandt in 1630. I know it's going to make my drawing look extremely stupid when it's shown right next to the work of a Dutch master best known for portraits. But I am just going to show you how beautiful an old man can be.

This is an interesting painting because Rembrandt did not sign his work (he normally did!). The painter remained anonymous until X-ray revealed a self-portrait of the young Rembrandt hidden underneath the paint... tricky artist :p [Read here]




No comments:

Post a Comment