Sunday, November 30, 2014

The hourglass of Dali

After my Duchamp sketch below, I immediately made another Dali Sketch. The earlier drawings of Dali was actually the VERY FIRST portrait I drew in my entire life. And it's now quite embarrassing to look at... (See Dali [1] and Dali [2], although Dali 2 was more a cartoon than a drawing.)



So I started searching for photos of Dali again. The reason why I am so obsessed with him is that there are a lot of interesting photos available, from being young and handsome, to becoming more mature (with his mustache growing ever longer). 

My friends (the very few who bother to know who Dali is)
disagreed that he was handsome. Now look at this.


And This.
(It could possibly make a good Calvin Klein Commercial)



And he got crazier....



.....crazier



.....and yet, crazier....




As I keep searching, I found some rare photos of Dali during his last years. They touched my heart, so deeply that I couldn't help but made another sketch of Dali after midnight...


If you think of Dali, you think of his signature mustache and his huge eyes, full of life, full of energy, full of confidence. It made him a very unique person, very Dali. However the Dali here looked almost vulnerable. He was probably in his seventies. And the intense power in his eyes, that once made him the most fascinating person to look at, has left him.


However rich, however beautiful, however invincible you are,
you will have to face the eventual decline of life. 
Time is cruel, and it's just as cruel to me as to you.
Everybody is equally helpless.


Dali's most famous painting, "The persistence of memory" was about time. If it's the first time you look at this painting, I resist the urge to tell you the academic interpretations of his work. Surrealism is to be felt, not to be explained anyways.

Salvador Dali, 1931
The persistence of memory, oil on canvas

This is probably one of the last pictures of Dali I can find online. His mustache now grew all white. His fierce stare was nowhere to be seen. Dali , for the first time, looked calm and relaxed in a photo.


To balance out the unusual seriousness of this post, I decided to make a cartoon of this picture. XD


Everybody will eventually be memories of the others, 
but every breath you take is a miracle of yourself.
So make it count.


No comments:

Post a Comment